Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Verano

In what I thought would be a summer of me figuring out where I am going to move next ended up being a summer of discovery about life instead. Here's what I learned:


"Never make your home in a place. Make a home for yourself inside your own head. You'll find what you need to furnish it - memories, friends you can trust, a yearning for learning, love, and other such things. That way it will go with you wherever you journey."
         -Anonymous



Simple, right? I found out really quickly this summer that a home is not a home because you grew up in it or because the walls are painted your favorite shade of blue. A home is a home because of all the things you can take away from it. I was fortunate enough to see many incredible people this summer and make some great memories with them all. So it looks as though my home is wherever I happen to be at the time, living and loving in the present.


And now I am back in Guatemala. Aubrey and I moved to a new apartment and its already feeling like our home. I am feeling ready for the school year, ready to take on new challenges, to meet my new amazing coworkers, to hang out with my awesome new students, and continue to learn from each new day. Though I would love to be sitting in a park eating a baguette in Paris with Zack, or bike riding with Sarah through the trails of Seattle, or eating burritos from a truck outside Home Depot with Weston, or kayaking on the lake with my mom, etc. I think all that means is I have wonderful people and memories in my head to add to the furnishing of my home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment