Monday, October 31, 2011

Yo cambiaré, tu cambiará, cambiaremos... el mundo cambiará

Oy vey! It has certainly been awhile since my last update. I wish like crazy that I could update daily but to be honest, I can never remember what even happened during the day by the time I get home. My bed time this year? 9:30pm. At the latest. Maybe even on the weekends. This country has aged me but oh how it's worth it.

The Inter Recycling Center aka my classroom
I thought I would give you all a little Bottle Brick update. If I had blogged two weeks ago (when I should have) I probably would have sounded very discouraged and hopeless. But in the last few days, students and teachers throughout the whole school have really stepped up to the plate and began collecting major supplies and completed bricks. My Earthkeepers and I made a giant water bottle bulletin board outside of the library to record the number of bottles collected in hopes that the visual would increase excitement. Many teachers also made it a homework assignment or an extra credit opportunity to made bottles at home and bring them to school. Next month, Inter is having a its annual "Family Day" where students and families come to school on a Saturday for games and other festivities. The only liquids being sold will come in a 600ml bottle so students can stuff them afterward. Basically, things are going much better. I'm more confident that we will be able to make enough by January when the school will actually be built. I really couldn't be happier that this is all coming to life because after the first day of Earthkeepers when there was only 6 students in attendance, I was certain that it wasn't going to happen.


For Zack :)
I think the coolest part about this project is seeing kids actually THINK about what they are creating in terms of waste. They are going as far as taking garbage out of trash cans and washing it to put it in a bottle instead. And they also feel so proud when they explain to other people about the project and why it's important to keep plastics out of trash dumps. I did have to kick a kid out of Earthkeepers today, though. After multiple instances of misconduct including crawling onto my desk and tearing papers, spitting over the balcony at students below, and running out of the classroom and "hiding" from his teacher, I had had enough. Extra curricular activities only pay teachers about $45 a month and they are completely free for kids so abusing your privileges does not make for a very happy Miss Hannah. Hopefully things will go more smoothly now and hopefully this child learns from relaxation techniques... GEESH!

Lets see, what else is new? School is going wonderfully. I am much more confident this year and feel good about what my students are learning. They are all a little wiggly but they are super hilarious and fun. My teammates are also a joy to work with as they are very open to new ideas and are excited about coming to work each day. I am really looking forward to seeing the progress everyone makes this year as I am more aware of the changes kids go through this year. I am posting the first 3B Newsletter from this year so you can see about where my kids are in writing at this point in the school year. Unfortunately, some of the pictures they drew were the funniest parts but I was unable to figure out how to add them as well.

Aubrey and I's drama club has finally decided on the play they want to do this spring: The Smurfs. Yes, those miniature, blue fairy-thingys have hit Interamericano by storm has it is hard to hear students not humming the theme song of "La la la-la-la, la la la la laaaaaaa!" and playing with obnoxiously small "Los Pitufos" (the Spanish word for Smurfs, second in my favorite Spanish words behind poporopo: popcorn) toys in their desks instead of listening to their teachers. So, we decided to run with it and make a play that would be super appealing to all the elementary kids. The plot, you ask? Gargamel, the evil villain of the story, dresses in disguise as a new teacher at InterSmurficano where all the students are, of course, Smurfs. Gargamel reveals his identity only to kidnap a Smurf, forcing the others to travel around Guatemala in search of their friend. It should be pretty hilarious :) Aubrey and I wore Smurf shirts I found at a market to begin advertising and became (or maintained our status of) the most popular teachers at Inter because of our attire.

Los Pitufos!
Okay well tomorrow is Halloween which not only means that we will have a classroom full of hyper children but it also means we will have a school full of exhausted teachers. I better go prepare myself now!

No comments:

Post a Comment